Saturday, June 18, 2011

The #6 thing I love about Brazil is..............
Pastel de feira or homemade deep fried pastries. I think that just about anything deep fried is good, If my parents had deep fried my vegetables as a kid I don't think their would have been any problem with me eating my greens. Anyways, Pastel de feira is a homemade pastry with various flavors, such as ground beef, chicken, cheese, calabreza(spicy sausage which they mince), The special though is well, special. It comes with ground beef, onion, cheese and an semi-cooked egg(which cooks inside the pastel when you fry it). The special with a Guaraná chaser and your good to go. Top it off that you get this at the local farmers market, which in and of itself is an interesting experience which will fall on this list at one point or another. Pastels are cheap, big and filling, and after you usually feel like the way you do when you eat at dicks drive-in. Is there anything more pleasant than that sick greasy feeling? I don't think so. The typical pastel is usually about 6 inches long and about 3 inches wide. and costs about 2-4 reais. If you really want to try REAL Brazilian food, you can't go wrong with Pastel de Feira, just be sure to give me a call so I can come along to. Até logo e um abraço.

1 comment:

  1. I can't express how much I like it, about two years ago I use to work right next to a Wednesday (farmer market? (feira), every Wednesday I was eating pastel for lunch, of course I gained some extra pounds hahahah. For coincidence my favorite pastel calls "Americano", made of mozzarela cheese, tomatos, green olive.

    ReplyDelete