Friday, July 1, 2011

The #19 thing that I love about Brazil is.........


Festas de aniversario. Birthday parties in Brazil might be the coolest thing ever. Its funny that I am having to write about this but I recently read on another expat blog about how the person hated the parties here because this person thought there was too much candy and violent games.(Her child played a video game where he got to kill some zombies, it might be better if he never meets the Todovermelho family then. We aren't afraid to get a little rough) Parties here might be a little over the top though, but hey it only happens once every year. The family will usually decorate a table and wall with a theme, something along the preferences of the child. It is usually a theme regarding some superhero, barbie, Ben10 and etc. Then the family will usually invite around 100 children. If its a family that doesn't go to the same church as I do then usually and this it doesn't matter if this is a child's party, there will be alcohol. The party will start probably around 6 or 7pm. And will go until the wee hours of the night, or should I say morning? Now these parties are double edged swords mind you, if your not invited to your neighbor's party, make sure you have plans to simply leave the neighborhood for around the next 5 hours. Believe me, these parties are LOUD! But I guess that's what makes it so fun, people just let loose and have fun, even the happy birthday song in Portuguese is LOUD! But if you compare the English happy birthday song to the Portuguese birthday song the English one is too slow, almost depressing. Also, at these parties there is usually an infinite supply of brigadeiro, which is the best dessert ever invented. One of the best parts though is that gift giving at parties is not required, people usually buy a small gift, but it is not frowned upon if you show up with no gift ready to eat. So if you get a chance, be sure to experience this event, I promise you wont ever forget it. Até logo e um abraço.




2 comments:

  1. My sister does wonderful stuff with balloons to decorate birthday parties, she also decorates them most of the time, kids birthdays parties in Brazil are like going to fun land, I think they are not over the top, I actually think they are all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello

    I am Erika from TravelerVoice, a new social network for travel bloggers.

    I just found your blog and I really like how you described your stories in Brazil with beautiful pictures and assertive comments! It's exactly the kind of writing we are looking for our Living abroad section, so please feel free to register :)

    I am looking forward to hearing from you :)

    Cheers,
    Erika.

    www.travelervoice.com

    ReplyDelete