Thursday, November 17, 2011

Number 21 on the list of why I love Brazil is.....

Caldo de cana in Portuguese and in English its called Garapa. It is sugar cane juice. Supposedly its energetic which I don't agree with. Here it's very common to get a squeeze of lemon or even pineapple and mix with it. It is obtained from taking the sugar cane and peeling it and then generally people use hand cranked mills to crush the cane, draining the juice from it. It's best served with cold with ice.


Recently my wife introduced me to taking the cane and cutting it into chunks and then sucking the juice out and crushing it with your teeth. I was skeptical at first but then found that I liked it. Gotta keep an open mind. 


4 comments:

  1. Hey there, nice list on the great things about Brazil, of which there are many! I'd be interested to hear what annoys you in Brazil ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are things that annoy me, but the purpose of this blog was to help me to have a positive attitude in regards to living in Brazil, especially São Paulo. I have found that it is so easy to complain but so much harder to find positive things to say. But thank you for the compliment

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, I so love sugar cane juice. I discovered it for the first time last year in Saigon, where it's called Nuoc Mia.....I will be moving to DR or Brazil and will be so happy to be back where I can have this great drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part of Brazil are you planning on moving to?

      Delete